Monday, May 14, 2012

Sailfish Final Stages

Well, with a new found ooomf...I decided it was time to get this sailfish puppet completed and prepared for "sale".

After getting the rigging sorted, I then had to prepare the sails.
It was a challenge to find appropriate material for the sails...and in fact, I ended up settling for a high quality, thread based paper.
I cut the sails and put in some rigging rope...
 I then had to prepare a groove in the tail to hold the "tie down" for the rear piece of rigging...
 For the "tie down" piece, I used a part I had obtained for model ship building...
 It was now time to start thinking about the base-handle of the sailfish. After a look through my salvaged wood stockpile, I came across a small log of "redgum". As I looked at the form, I began to see how...by following the natural curve and grain in the wood...it could potentially make a great base for the puppet...
 With no markings or second thought, I rough cut the log...
 Then it was time to finely shape the piece and prepare it for the finishing...
 And before long, I had uncovered a great handle-base for the sailfish that was finished, polished and ready for mounting...
 A couple of carefully drilled holes later...and the sailfish was set in position...
 Once the brass rod connecting the fish to the handle was secured in position, it was time to "tie down" that back sail...
 And of cause...add in detail to the "window to the soul"...

No comments:

Post a Comment