Friday, March 16, 2012

Whale Shark Cont..

After a very productive time, the whale shark puppet is progressing nicely.
Unsure if this was a good way to go or not...I decided to trust my instinct and add a stylized version of the whale shark's spots...
Then it was time to split each of the body segments and prepare the back of the head for the flexible leather...Then it was time to prepare the leather. I used a piece of what is called "Mad-dog leather". I like using this due to the fact that both sides have a similar teture and colour...
And of cause I couldn't resist and had to check what it looked like with the body segments on...Before going any further, I needed to prepare the groove for the side fins...
And another test fit with the fins...Aside from the head, it was time for the final assembly (the head segment was set aside for painting)...
And after painting the eyes and details on the head...it was attached to the waiting body...
The handle...for the handle, I used some salvaged "Red Gum"... a native, exotic Australian hard wood. I love discovering the hidden beauty of the grain in old, discarded exotic woods such as these... The handle grain came up brilliant!
There are a few minor things left to do and if all goes to plan, soon this Whale Shark puppet will be complete and ready for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment